Thread: Forced Retreats
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 02:04 AM   #10
Brazen Hussey

Default Re: Forced Retreats

When I wondered if someone allowed saving throws against a dangerous forced retreat I hadn't read the whole combat section yet. So I did not know that someone was Steve Jackson.

I had read about forced retreats on ITL page 102, but not the other paragraph about them on page 118.

I really want to make sure I get them right, because they seem like a great tool to create flanking as well as forcing an enemy onto a dangerous or tactically weak location.

The text on page 118 cleared up the issue of a figure trying to avoid retreating into a dangerous hex (roll 3 dice against DX to stay out) but introduced a new bit of confusion for me.

The description on p102 makes it clear the successful attacker chooses (with limitations) which hex the defender retreats into. But on p 118 it states, "If the only adjacent vacant hex is dangerous" the figure can make the saving throw. This implies an attacker can only choose a dangerous hex in a forced retreat if it is the only option available. Is that correct? I don't think that's how I'd prefer it work, but I don't have enough experience to have an informed opinion.

Can anyone explicate this before I'm forced to retreat into my own dangerous hex of guesswork?
Brazen Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote