View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
Acolyte

Default In Nomine: Cyprus

I'm planning a game of IN set on the island of Cyprus, centering around Stone/Factions conflict (and the "hard" Stone and "teaching" Stone conflict), with some Ethereal gods, Eli, and post-Revelations Cycle Faith subthemes.

Cyprus was very important to Mediterranean trade (getting, perhaps, and giving, perhaps, its name from/to Copper, the metal), switched hands a lot during the Middle Ages, ended up a British colony, and is now split between a generally Greek recognized government and an unrecognized Turkish government with de facto control over the northern chunk of the island, following an invasion by Turks a few decades ago. While no longer important on the world stage, several older Superiors have strong investments there (and very old Servitors active there), and so it is disproportionately a hot zone in the War.

Here's my rough guess at the island's setup, Tetherwise:

Angelic
--Pygmalion's Quarry (Stone, with a Creation Seneschal, possibly originally twinned to Olympus, possibly still so; now it is a gathering place for very old Angels of Stone who care for humanity and miss the Cherubic David they once knew)
--Hala Sultan Tekke, the Mosque of Umm Haram (Faith, a meeting point for Christians and Muslims, and in a parallel way, between Servitors of Khalid and those of the Christian Superiors [especially Laurence]. Also, as an Islamic holy site dedicated to a woman, it is a key location for Servitors of Khalid that self-identify as female)
--Harbor of Lanarca, center of Mediterranean copper trade (ex-Trade, destroyed during the Turkish Invasion of Cyprus)
--(Trade making a comeback via tourism/oil, no Tether yet)

Demonic
--The Green Line/buffer zone dividing Greek- and Turkish-controlled regions (Factions, weakening with improving relations between the Cypriots but still the most powerful Tether on the island)
--Adonis' murdering place (Fate: Adonis' physical beauty, a gift from God, engendered only in-fighting between the Greek gods, and his perversion of it led him to Hell at his death)

Ethereal
--the spot where Aphrodite first came to land, or some other location specific to her--a grotto, perhaps (to Olympus, fallen into the hands of Lust Servitors who abuse its Tether-nature and coordinate Cypus's large sex-slave trade from there)

Does anyone have any other strong feelings about what should/should not be incorporated on the island? If the campaign progresses enough, I'll probably post a write-up somewhere online with NPCs and other info (i.e., a complete write-up of an IN location), and I'm open to considering other Tethers/major players on the island. I don't want it to be too crowded, though. In addition to the main thrust of the campaign--the community-building angels of Stone and the dissent-sowing demons of Factions--I think a few sessions could be spiced up with Olympian god interactions (as unhappy allies of demons or foes/neutral players to angels), lingering relics from ancient times (possibly involving Hypatia from Liber Reliquarium), and the angels of Faith recently re-accepted into the fold and their struggle to find a place in the Divine Plan (or, more cynically, Laurence's Semidivine plans).

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

(first post! from a long-time IN lover)

Last edited by Acolyte; 04-20-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Acolyte is offline   Reply With Quote