Thread: Sci Fi Cthulhu!
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #8
L.J.Steele

Default Re: Sci Fi Cthulhu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Ah, so you have access to the Prototype PDF. I've been considering getting the PPDF, but apparently right now it only comes bundled with a pre-order of the dead tree (and I have no use for the latter).

Which paradigm/model/cosmology of timelines and time travel is used by FoC? (I tried asking elsewhere but the only answer I got was guesswork based on an early review.)
I like dead tree edition. :)

Minor Spoilers ahead:

There are five provided possible futures you can try to avert -- Cthulu, Dagon, ShubNigurath, Narylthotep, and the King in Yellow. Each has a series of events the future PCs were briefed on and told to stop or alter. (Their data may or may not be right.)

Future characters can be sent back up to 30 years by a ritual invoking Yog-Sothoth. This comes with a cost to the character -- Corruption (their version of SAN loss inherent in messing with the Mythos). In theory, you could then do the ritual again and move back still further in 30 year jumps, but the Corruption cost would likely be crippling for more than a couple of jumps.

The Mythos is not bounded by your linear notions of time -- some mythos entities may become aware of the future PCs on arrival and change their plans. Changing things spins off alternate time lines, so it is possible to have two PCs co-existing in the past, each from a different future.

Magic and future tech are ill-defined, which may be the biggest weakness of the book. There are a few examples; they probably had to steer clear of CoC's IP. I would have liked say a two full pages each of examples of spells and possible tech.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote