View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #23
Varyon

Default Re: Disguising a weapon as a toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm View Post
Yup. First thing you should do is shut off your car, turn down the radio, put the keys on the dash, and avoid any movements that can be construed as reaching for a weapon or hiding a weapon. Keep your hands on top of the steering wheel. Not all CCW permits require you to disclose to the officer when stopped, but it's generally considered a best practice to do so. Don't do anything without the officer asking you to, and I like to tell them, clearly, what I am doing and ask for their permission.
I was recently pulled over while traveling out of state, and the officer needed me to wait with him in his vehicle while he ran my information. While I was careful not to make any suspicious movements or similar, he informed me of a potentially-lethal error I had made. While pulled over, I had to get out my wallet (which I did slowly and carefully) to show my license, and as putting the wallet back in my pocket while sitting wasn't comfortable, I opted to wait until I was standing and outside of my car. Due to the angle, what he saw was me get out of my vehicle with a black object in my hand, partially concealed from his view. He realized quickly that it was likely my wallet and not a pistol (confirmed when I put it in my back pocket instead of turning and trying to shoot him), but there was the potential there for things to go south very quickly.