View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 PM   #8
Tom H.

Default Re: Werewolf Human Form

With DFRPG, I miss the traditional aspect of werewolves being afflicted humans.

That being said, I really appreciate how several DFRPG monsters creatively distinguish themselves from being D&D translations. It's cool to see how the stereotypes differ when some alternate logic is applied. This is in keeping with GURPS reality bearing. For example, vampires eschew many classic constraints.

I have an occasional generic campaign that has switched back and forth between D&D and GURPS implementations. So sometimes the differences in the games' monsters call for adaptation on my part.

For example, I have a dryad encounter. With DFRPG I use the Spirit Guardian to implement this. As the name is very general, I almost missed the applicability. Whereas a D&D dryad relies heavily on charm person, DFRPG has no such ability out of the box. However, you get the interesting Eject and Pummel abilities for territorial defense. I'm still considering adding back in a charm effect.

To get back to the DFRPG werewolf, the lack of traditional human affliction assumes most people will just go to the temple to get cured. However, in my campaign there is just so much more plot creativity when members of the community have the affliction and must decide how to control it. Therefore, I still have to make my own modifications when I get around to it.

I like to use DFRPG as a more direct application than GURPS for running a more sober game than the marketing would encourage. Therefore, I can easily incorporate the complications that come from traditional dual form werewolves.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote