View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: I have a query about imbuements. Of the Defensive kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
From the get go. It's a general skill. does one need to have the skill for both their shield and armor?
If you want to use it with both easily, you need to buy both Shield and Armor specialities, yes. Note that they default to each other at -4, so if you have Energizing Defense (Shield) at 15, you effectively have Energizing Defense (Armor) at 11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware
if so, how does that work? Maximum number of absorbed cp allowed mostly and how to use them. Are they in different pools like pool for shield and a pool for armor. And they drain seperately, 1 per pool, etc? How does this work?
Separate pools, yes, and with caps that depend on how much skill you have in the relevant speciality. You should be able to use Energizing Defense (Shield) to block an attack and then, if it still does enough damage to completely destroy the shield, use Energizing Defense (Armor) to try to block however many more damage remains.

Quote:
Next, is there a way to take a minus to your skill to negotiate the ft cost like in the other skills?
Yes, Defensive Imbuements follow the general rules for Imbuements, which let you roll at -5 to ignore the FP cost.

Quote:
Next, is that a "parry" use (1/2 skill+3)? Or is it just a normal skillroll?
If you're activating a Defensive Imbuement in response to an attack, then the roll is against the standard number for defenses, 1/2 skill +3 +1 for Combat Reflexes (and I'd allow Enhanced Defense (Single Imbuement Skill) for 5 points per level, or (All Imbuement Skills) for 10 points/level). If you anticipate being attacked, you can activate a Defensive Imbuement on your own turn, with a straight skill roll.

Quote:
and last that I know of, when can you use said points. On your turn only? Or after any use of it?
Energizing Defense is based on the Absorption enhancement for Damage Resistance. Of course, Absorption also doesn't specify when the points can be used, but I'm inclined to say that using them is a free action that can be done even on someone else's turn. On the other hand, that's a lot of potential rolls against Energizing Defense, so I'd suggest limiting the player to only rolling to assign the points immediately after they've been hit, or on their own turn.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote