View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Alien Race that communicates via pheromones - how to stat it?

I'm not sure I agree with the zero points for cable jack only communication. It's effectively contact only which is much more limited than distance forms like sight, sound, or even scent.

I doubt specialized chemical communication would necessarily cross over the the Gurps generic Discriminatory Scent. Even humans with close to half our mammalian scent genes broken or turned off permanently have over 1000 specific receptors.
I can see a hypothetical alien species with far fewer geared specifically for language without needing to have the breadth of detection that the advantage confers in my opinion.
It's hard to imagine a species developing that way rather than all around super sensitive to scents.

But then again, chimps have hearing ranges up to 40 kHz compared to our 20 kHz, but they have around half the ability to discriminate similar tones to us. So maybe it makes sense to start wide then squeeze down for clarity.