View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 AM   #46
tshiggins

Default Re: [ATE] Farming example

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Lass' Bend

(SNIP)

Any one want crunch on the irrigation numbers? Sizes?
This is a very nice take on a post-apocalyptic oasis. I wasn't sure how a temperate zone oasis would look, but the use of Pinus monophylla (piņon pines), instead of date palms, is quite ingenious. I think those would work well in the United States, as they're native to the Desert Southwest, from southern Idaho to Baja.

A lot of stores sell pine nuts, and restaurants use them, around here. They don't produce nearly as much in the way of calories as date palms, but they can (and do) survive the cold winters.

They're not towering trees, so they couldn't act as shade for fruit orchards beneath them. You handled that nicely with the walled areas, though, and those with fairly high walls and "roofs" lightly trellised with grape vines would do the job nicely. I saw stuff like that in Seville.

You'd definitely have to train the trees to grow out instead of up, though.

Something like this could be directly applicable, in the near future, in my Facets campaign, so I'd like to see the numbers, please.

Thanks!
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote