View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 02:07 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Like a guillotine with legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Winds View Post

Nice one :) I was going to post a half-ogre swashbuckler too with most of the same features, even the Katana. His shtick was that he was from the far east and born with a vestigial horn in his forehead so he claimed to be an Oni :)
Half-ogres can be half-anything, so why not? �� �� ��

Of course, the traditional weapon would be an oversized kanabō, which I'd treat as a humongous club (Adventurers, p. 102). Swapping out a single sword skill for Two-Handed Axe/Mace would be a bold move – but again, why not?

The real trick would be getting to ST 24, where the humongous club (ST 16‡) doesn't become unready – probably not an option for a swashbuckler. A barbarian can start with the right skill (at an impressive 18) and can just manage the ST by using all 40 advantage points: 20 points to be a half-ogre (with +4 ST), 10 points for ST +1, and 10 points for Striking ST 2: 17 + 4 + 1 + 2 = 24.

. . . aaaand that's 4d+8 crushing at skill 18 every turn. And frankly, I see a lot of Rapid Strikes at skill 12 because who really cares about hit location when your average damage is 22? For an extra $400, the humongous club can be dwarven and also parry after attacking (at a respectable 12).

Oh, my.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote