View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Dreamworlds as Domains, Astral Cosmology

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Yes, it's a feature. In Ubantu, having your own personal guardian spirit is a feature, as everyone has one. But I still have to define what guardian spirits are and how they work, especially since some are better than others. See where I'm going?
I get what you're trying to do, but I wouldn't try to come up with concrete worked out abilities unless one of the PCs is going to need to use it.

Quote:
To make it simple - Person A has a pocket dimension that they can physically enter. Person B has a pocket astral plane that they can project into. How does B's advantage differ from A? Is A a Jumper while B has some modified version of Astral Travel? If I go with Astral Travel, I can extend Barrier Breaking and such to represent invading others' dream spheres. But then the actual Dream Projection from Psionic Powers looks ways too powerful - this is the ability to invade anyone's dream sphere, and they don't even get a resist roll (because the implied cosmology in the Psi Dream stuff has a unified shared dream world) *and* Astral Travel is built on Insubstantial, not Jumper, which I do not like at all.
I don't see a issue here because one projects his mind and the other goes there bodily. Both have their benefits and drawbacks. What you need to do is figure out what you are using Astral Travel as it is built or something else. Then DON'T use the other. Your issues I think are stemming from the "I want to use it all" mentality. Sometimes...you can't. It sucks, but it happens. Figure out what works best for the campaign and dump what doesn't.

Quote:
Hmmm - maybe I should just apply the Enhancements and Limitation from the Domain bit to Astral Travel directly. Then add a new limitation for Create and Control - Dream Matter only. Gonna try that out.
Dream Matter is a Large category for Create if you are using the Dreamworld often, or a Medium one. For control, it's Control (Dreams) 30/level] or Control (Dream Matter) [20/level], neither work for intelligent beings unless you add a +100% version of Cosmic called "Vital Manipulation."

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote