View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Dreamworlds as Domains, Astral Cosmology

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I'm trying to work Dreamworlds into my cosmology. Psionic Powers implies that there is a shared Dreamworld and that it is a real timeline (Dream Projection is built on Jumper, while Astral Travel is built on Insubstantial). I'm curious as to how other people have worked spirit worlds and dream worlds into their campaign cosmologies. Just tell me how it works in your world.

The cosmology of my setting has the Earth, Sky, Land of the Dead and Underworld as contiguous realms so that it is actually possible to walk from one to the next, with the Underworld being both below the Earth and above the Land of the Dead. It is called the Cloth of Being, since the layers are seen as folds. Magic/energy permeates and connects all of the folds. The Astral realm is then the space between the folds, where there is energy and spirit/information, but no matter. I'd prefer for each being to have his own Dreamworld, a kind of Astral bubble (beads on the cloth of being). Dreamworlds can overlap, and can have windows and doors, though this isn't particularly safe. I'll have to stat these as advantages, and I really have no idea how to go about that.
First, if you don't have Pyramid #3/63: Infinite Worlds II, I suggest you grab it. I had "personal dreamworlds" in mind when I wrote up Jumper (Pocket Dimension). Next, depending on the campaign the Dreamworld works differently. As someone who has extremely vivid dreams, nerve-wrecking night terrors, and insomnia (ain't I special?) I've made a bit of a amateur study of oneirology. In my previous campaign (which is now on hold), the Dreamworld took the shape of Lovecraft's Dreamlands, with the exception that everyone had a Dream Sphere (their own personal dream space). Each Sphere connected to the Dreamlands, but unless you were talented mystically or very unlucky you couldn't wander into the Dreamlands on your own. Those who get there by accident are called "dream stuck" and it's a terrible situation to be in. That said, the cosmology I created made it so that the Dreamlands were at the center of everything. When you died, you entered your dream sphere permentantly and that became your own heaven or hell or you ventured into a higher/lower plane where some deity you believed in ruled. It was pretty much that simple. You could venture into the Dreamlands either in body (powerful magic) or while asleep if trained. Made for a amazing campaign. You can read about my session reports for the Awakening here.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote