View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
Skarg

Default Re: Scryproofing: $65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
See concealed notes on Crystal Ball (ITL 162)

Also Scrying is its own can of worms for example:
ITL 26 "Add 1 die if the target is within wards or a pentagram." (Which wards?!? The spell or the magic item, which is only a pentagram?)

ITL 29 "And it will prevent scrying."
The Crystal Ball reference on ITL 162 just says Crystal Balls almost never penetrate Conceal, not that Conceal offers a way to block entire people from Crystal Balls. i.e. It seems to me it just means that you can't use a Crystal Ball to see things under a Conceal spell.

That is a good catch though about Pentagram saying it will prevent scrying, as opposed to just adding 1 die. Though one wonders how exactly either of those work with various pentagram layouts and scrying targets.

I'd tend to think the mention of Wards in Scrying means the item that creates a pentagram, since the alternative (Ward spells) just notify the wizard when a doorway or 3-hex area is passed.

However I'm not much of a fan of information-gathering game situations being trivialized by magic, so I tend to want there to be more ways to prevent both scrying and crystal balls. Though I'm not sure I'd choose a cheap permanent spell casting as you suggest in the OP above.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote