View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 01:32 PM   #39
Tomsdad

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
As an example, the Tactical Shooting crowd was unhappy with regular Attack manoeuvres being too easy, so they added the demand that getting Acc requires an AoA. Just as one example.
The trend seems to be that literalisation has more new penalties than new bonuses compared to an abstract resolution, in terms of getting stuff done etc. Not always, but IME more often then not.
I think your conflating literalism with realism/verisimilitude here.

Literalism in this context just means the rules are describing what happened exactly. That's not the same as the rules are describing what happened realistically.

Given we just had an entire thread about step and wait, I find your point that the TS crowd what to make realism (not literalism) more difficult a bit odd.

I think it more that if there is such thing as a TS crowd, it's more that they want to reflect more nuance in describing things. Perhaps more importantly they want to amend rules so that they more closely match what they are modelling.

Making aimed (sighted) shots is not about they felt the need to give the AoA penalties to aimed shot actions. It about the fact that they recognised that when your sighting down you gun you lose situational awareness.

At the same time they pointed out that unsighted shooting should have other benefits over sighted shooting as well.

If nothing else shotguns got better in TS (says my P++ at Boom stick range and 3x15, M1014)! ;-)

Last edited by Tomsdad; 12-26-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote