View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
As an example, the Tactical Shooting crowd was unhappy with regular Attack manoeuvres being too easy, so they added the demand that getting Acc requires an AoA. Just as one example.
This isn't really an accurate interpretation of this event. Hans examined the reality of aimed and sighted fire, and made a judgement that if you're doing these things, you're not capable of perceiving actions by other foes, nor interrupting your maneuver with a defense. He both shoots and has done a ridiculous amount of research about experts that shoot, and made the judgement that these two maneuvers (and especially Aim + Attack) required total focus. This is to aid the "Literal" interpretation of the maneuver. Simulation in a particular idiom.

It was not the feelings of a particular "crowd" with respect to game mechanics. It was not an attempt to "nerf" Aim. It was a recogniation that when simulating the behavior of real-world shooters, the kind of global awareness and ability to do anything other than aim and shoot is basically zero. It was not a game-mechanical desicion, but a simulationist one.

As always, Rule Zero applies. If you want to allow Aim and Attack, booyah. Go ahead.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote