View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Dwarf99

Default Re: Literal vs. Abstract interpretation of GURPS combat and other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I prefer GURPS Combat (and GURPS in general) to be as literal as possible, because I find that GURPS is strongest when concrete. When you show people all the rules, they panic because they're used to games like D&D, which are very, very abstract. But when I explain that a player can just describe what she's going to do, and GURPS can cover that, then they relax. Thus, I want the game to resemble that as much as possible.

Granted, you reach a point where such things become impossibly complex, and further realism actually harms my goal, so I do accept some abstraction, but I prefer to keep it to a minimum where possible.
Yeah, combat is one of those literal approaches for me.

On the other hand, I had this RPM idea where I used the Alternate Spaceships rules for buildings to determine Building HP that varied from the Basic Set, then used that determine how much energy RPM Casters could gather. Someone said something about how ST/HP didn't correlate to electrical Kilowatts. My response was generally that was correct, but it did correlate to the maximum amount of wiring in the walls. Abstraction.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote