View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Magesmiley

Default Re: Walls, walls, and more walls. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Yeah, if you were going to use them to mark out a race course, you might need a lot at which point casting your own would probably be the most economical.
Once you've put the money out for the molds, dental plaster is pretty cheap and you can cast quite a few things from each bag of it.
Quote:
I think dental plaster would look a lot like concrete so a bit of paint and you'd be good to go. You could easily inflict damage on those which would be more difficult if you had pristine ones 3D printed.
Yes. Yes it does look a lot like concrete. :)

Quote:

You sent me down a sort of rabbit hole here - my first thought was to go to Hirst Arts to see what they have. Their mold # 331 has tire stacks, oil drums, and a jersey barrier. I have a feeling that one is too large for 1/64 however. Seems like a purely automotive mold would be something that might be a money maker for them with a few games of that genre on the market now.

I also saw gamers who use silicone ice "cube" trays to make *somewhat* similar barriers - one of the best I saw actually used the underside of the tray in between the slots where you'd normally put the water. Since you said you want realistic jersey barriers, those might not fit the bill. However, if you want something similar that might appear in an alternate future Earth setting, they look pretty good.
The ones that looked the most promising for Car Wars are:
Mold #280, which is 1.5" concrete squares.
The Star Fortress Molds, particularly the Post (#315) and The Walls (#415).
The Factory Accessories Mold (#331) also has some good bits (oil barrel, jersey barrier, cones, and some other stuff).

Some of the others might be useful for other specific things.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote