safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: Number of remounts a cavalryman can manage on patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Probably right. On the other hand, at some small number of extra horses, leading them is done.
Yes, I know. Eight to ten horses might be a good limit without penalty.

"Next, by prior arrangement, the president rode horseback 65 miles from Laramie to Cheyenne. Changing mounts three times, for a total of four horses ridden, Roosevelt was accompanied by 10 prominent citizens, including Sen. Francis E. Warren, U.S. Marshal Frank Hadsell, Deputy U.S. Marshal Joe LeFors, Albany County Sheriff N.K. Boswell of Laramie, local stockman R. S. Van Tassell, and Black Hills Forest Reserve Supervisor and former Deadwood, S. D. lawman Seth Bullock...The party ate lunch at the Van Tassell ranch and arrived in Cheyenne at 4:00 p.m. A lengthy procession and parade brought Roosevelt to a speaker's stand at 15th and Ferguson (now Carey Avenue). At 7:00 p.m., he spoke to a crowd of approximately 10,000."
See more at: http://www.wyohistory.org/encycloped....yBOsnr61.dpuf

Quote:
At what point do you think extra horses will slow them down or weaken them as a combat unit? Beyond two? Beyond three?
They'll probably have a few horse holders riding with them, holding the strings for 2-3 riders.

Quote:
Will it take long to train horses that are fully trained as hunting horses, endurance racers or working horses for herding to function as cavalry horses? Assuming that many of them will have been used in small skirmishes between tribes as well, much like Plains Indian or Mongol horses.
Probably a month or two. Assuming they are well bred and experienced horses.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote