View Single Post
Old 04-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #34
Icelander

Default Re: [High-Tech/Vehicles] Rugged, Simple SAR/Medevac Helicopters

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I think one of the problems with Hueys on Navy ships is that they have skids. An aircraft carrier requires constant repositioning of aircraft due to the needs of deck space for flight ops. You'll notice that every dedicated navy helicopter I am aware of has wheels instead of skids. This would not be a problem for a helicopter that only has to land on a single helicopter sized landing pad on a very large yacht or a cargo ship.
That's a very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
I'm not sure much would have to be done to make a Huey sea worthy as far as resisting salt spray, they are pretty rugged helicopters. As a player I would not cry foul if this organization used them aboard ships just because Navys that use full sized carriers did not.
I suppose attempts at accuracy are more for me than my players.

Even if my players don't care one way or another, I want all the little details of real-world stuff to be as accurate as possible, because fantasy is more interesting when contrasted against meticulous realism.

The UH-1 Iraquois 'Huey' helicopters that have been established in play are based on land and used to support operations in Texas, Louisiana and probably occasionally into Mississippi or even Alabama. Louisiana, in particular, sees a lot of small-scale incidents in out of the way places that require the New Orleans team to respond rapidly. So they often travel by light airplane or helicopter.

It has not, so far, come up what kind of helicopters are used for operations over sea. The Penemue doesn't have a helipad and Night Riders (Monster Hunters) who flew in to supplement the complement there while it was in Galveston landed on airfields. Penemue is out to sea now, but the PCs aren't on it.

That being said, when the PCs finish up their investigation of the cult crime spree in the Houston-area, they'll most likely travel to Dominica, where Penemue will be. At that point, it's very likely that the issue of available TL7 helicopters for rendervouzing with a yacht at sea will come up, because the players are terrified of having their characters fly in a modern aircraft. 'Nonc' Morel is planning to fly to Dominica in a WWII seaplane, for example.