View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
Stripe

Default Dungeon Fantasy Players and GMs: What Tips You Would Give to a New Player?

Greetings!

To people who actually play or have played GURPS Dungeon Fantasy with other players and a game master, and to GM's who have real, actual game-play experience running sessions of DF, what are a few tips you would give new players and GM's?

Assume the person is familiar with the fantasy* genre, The World's Most Popular RPG, and also knows at least the basics of GURPS, but has never played or GM'ed Dungeon Fantasy. This isn't advice for people who are new to table-top role-playing games or GURPS.

Assume only the Basic Set, Magic, Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons, and Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level are being used. Assume no other material is in-play.

Some people would rather fill out a questionnaire. For those, here it is:

Advice to players:

1. What is the single most important piece of advice you would give to a new Dungeon Fantasy player?

2. What are 3-5 tips you would give to a player who is familiar with fantasy* role play but inexperienced with the town-and-down dungeon crawl style of play?

3. For players who will assume a front-line warrior character template (e.g., Knight), what tips you would give to help them play efficiently and effectively?

4. For players who will assume a character using a caster template (e.g., Wizard), what tips you would give to help them play efficiently and effectively?

5. For players who will assume a template focused on ranged combat (e.g., Scout), what tips you would give to help them play efficiently and effectively?

Advice to game masters:

1. What is the single most important piece of advice you would give to an experienced GURPS GM switching from running fantasy* games focused mainly on role playing to running Dungeon Fantasy hack-and-slash games?

2. What are some differences between fantasy* games and Dungeon Fantasy that you would highlight and advise a GM how to handle?

3. What are some other important pieces of advice you would give an experienced GURPS GM about running DF games?

Thanks to everyone with Dungeon Fantasy game play experience for their advice!

* Fantasy is a fiction genre set in an imaginary universe, often but not always without any locations, events, or people from the real world. Most fantasy uses magic or other supernatural elements as a main plot element, theme, or setting. Magic and magical creatures are common in many of these imaginary worlds. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap among the three, all of which are subgenres of speculative fiction.
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote