View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Magic] RPM, Paths, Realms - So many variants, but which one to choose?

Combining Threshold with Winds...

You could have Winds reduce or increase threshold rolls. If you've got a +5 red wind, reduce tally rolls for spells that only use the red wind by 5. This will make casting in winds a lot safer, but leave the mage fairly useless afterwards.

Winds could reduce or increase the tally of a spell. There are two options: multiplicative and additive. Multiplicative modifiers make really big spells easier to cast in high winds, while additive ones will let you spam cheap spells in the right conditions. Additive multipliers are also better at shutting down all casting of a certain type. This won't give as big a boost as increasing tally rolls, but it won't raise the tally by huge amounts in the process. I think you'd need a new table for either multiplicative or additive.

Winds could act as a limit on how much tally could be drawn at any one time.

Winds could change how fast tally recovers. This is my favorite idea, but the problem is it requires each wind to have its own tally, which might be a bit of book keeping.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote