View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 03:18 AM   #453
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Modern Firepower] Technothriller gear for secret DHS team in 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Would these give a penalty to Climbing or Stealth?

Compared to, say, combat boots?
It's basically the same as combat boots. The biggest difference is that because the boot isn't laced up tightly (but some are buckled which is effectively the same) it has a small amount of play on the foot.

Quote:
There is a wealth of cowboy boots on the Internet, but I don't know what kind of sole or other features they need to have to justify a lack of penalties to Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth.
This sole is a standard cowboy boot sole, flat and made for ease of slipping into a stirrup.

Conversely this sole is pretty much a standard combat boot sole, it's fine for most adventure skills.

The first style I'd give a -1 to most adventure skills until you become Familiar (and even then I* might keep a -1 to Climb and Sneak). Your feet are just prone slip when running, or jumping, there is no grip for Climbing, etc.

The second is basically a combat boot sole, but it's not going to be as good in mud due to the narrow heel (below GURPS threshold).

* I'm harsher than High-Tech, I feel that all hard soled boots should take a -1 to Stealth and Climbing. Running, Acrobatics, Jumping are all things you can acclimate to, but the restriction from the hard sole and tight decreased mobility in the ankle really does reduce Climbing and Sneaking in my opinion.

Quote:
But given how likely it is that he'll have to use Acrobatics, Climbing and Stealth while wearing the same footwear as when on a motorcycle, he really ought to avoid penalties to those skills.
As mentioned, High-Tech isn't going to penalize for riding boots.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote