View Single Post
Old 02-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #35
Icelander

Default Detection and analysis of jamming by the Coast Guard

I'm trying to find some guidelines on how easy it is to detect jamming from a distance outside the range of the jammer.

The South Portland Coast Guard Station at 259 High Street, South Portland, ME 04106, is exactly 8 miles away from the approximate center of a 500-yd circle drawn around the Manhanock Asylum for the Criminally Insane complex on Jewell Island. I'm pretty sure that the Command Center for search and rescue, homeland security, pollution, law enforcement, and fisheries incidents involving the local maritime community is located at that site. That would mean computers and communications, as well as a staff on duty manning it 24/7.

It appears that the 249 High Street base also contains part of the USCG Sector Northern New England headquarters, though there are two buildings further away from Jewell Island, in Portland and closer to the airport in South Portland, that also belong to the Coast Guard. It may be that some of the investigative aspects of the mission are centered in the buildings near the airport and central Portland, rather than at the docks in South Portland. On the other hand, those may just be housing for unmarried Coasties and/or the Coast Guard Exchange.

So, with communication equipment for a Secter Command Center, what does the Coast Guard detect from 8 miles away?

Can they recognise deliberate white noise radio jamming on all frequencies from that distance, even if that jamming is not supposed to affect an area larger than several hundred yards in diameter? Determine something about the type of jammer?

Would they gain any more information from a cutter at a mile or two or a helicopter than they are getting from their Command Center at eight miles?