View Single Post
Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #11
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Share Your Game Master Panic Moments

This is one of the reasons I don’t go to cons anymore. Most of the people who run the cons know me and consider me family. So, if I show up, I’m put to work. Sometimes on games I don’t know a thing about . . ..

Several years ago, when Star Wars Miniatures was a thing, I had purchased the AT-AT (because I wanted a freaking AT-AT!). One of these people asked if I could bring my AT-AT to (specific con) so he could re-create the Attack on Hoth. I said “sure,” knowing that Hand of Bobb would love to stop by the dealer’s room.

The day arrives and we head to the con. I find my friend (who shall remain nameless) and he tells me that one of the other event's runners didn’t show up and he was going to be there, running that, so I’d have to run the SW Miniatures event. I tried to remind him that I didn’t play the game and had never read the rules. He wandered off, and with fifteen minutes before the game I read the rule book.

I apologized to the players, and they were really understanding. And they wound up having a great time as I played fast and loose with the rules and aimed more for a Star Wars feel then an accurate reflection of the rules.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote