safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Default Re: [Spaceships] Heat Signature, Cloaking Device, and Stealth Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
tut-tutting us for saying that stealth in space is impossible without putting an asterisk of "As far as we know"...You don't disagree that stealth in space is TL^, or that it's effectively impossible with current understandings of technology. You don't disagree that the various minor tactics that maybe sort of might kind of work are extremely limited and usually impractical for all the reasons someone on Atomic Rockets might cite.
This is what I have said. That seems to be a position that I have communicated, and you have understood. Good for us.

But let me note that the Atomic Rockets very limited stealth exceptions are the camel's nose under the tent -- they really are tactics and while the objectors at that site don't like them, they could in fact be useful under the right circumstances. If it helps it helps -- it's up to future spaceship captains to show how it might work. That knocks right out the blanket "NO STEALTH" argument. Now it becomes "well, okay, but that could hardly help in every situation...and how could that be total 100% stealth anyway?" which is a very bad standard, even for interpreting the way real world radar or sonar stealth is working on the battlefield today. It's a strawman argument on the face of it, basically.

Quote:
So what are you trying to do? What are the point of your posts? If you're not arguing against our point, what point are you trying to make?
See above.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote