View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 07:58 AM   #56
Michele

Default Re: Weapons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Most players will probably clamour for automatic firearms, with MP 40s and even StG44s being fairly easy to justify and being very useful for the sort of close combat they expect. I imagine there will be a light machine gun as well and at least one Gewehr 43. Nevertheless, I want to offer at least one traditional old-school infantryman PC, with a rifle in a battle rifle caliber and mounted bayonet that he is expert with.

What would be the most effective infantry rifle for close-combat and bayonet-fighting?

Bonus points if it is likely to pass unremarked in the hands of a German soldier. I'm leaning toward a Tokarev SVT-40, as Germans re-issued thousands of captured ones, but I don't know how robust it was for use with a bayonet.
If the point of the SVT-40 is to have its semi-auto fire capability, as opposed to bolt action, then I don't see why the guy shouldn't just get a Gewehr 43.

If the point is having the ideal rifle for bayonet fighting, then I doubt the SVT-40 is the one. First, it was less rugged than the Mosin-Nagant, thus less able to withstand use as a hand weapon.
Second, for close combat in close quarters, you prefer something shorter, handier, like a carbine. If you think carbine, there are these two candidates:
A Czech Gewehr 33/40 (t) would be not conspicuous at all, and way shorter.
An Italian Moschetto Mod. 91 would be as short and also way lighter - but it lightens significantly the use as a long firearm, too, with its 6.5mm round. The Moschetto would also be in use with German troops and not an eyebrow-raiser.