View Single Post
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 AM   #54
Icelander

Default Weapons

Given the wide variety of weapons that the Germans are equipping their last-ditch defence forces with, usually under an umbrella term such as Volkssturmgewehr or similar, there is considerable leeway for allowing the PCs each a choice of iconic weapons.

Germans were issuing captured Polish, Czech, French, Romanian, Russian, British and American weapons, and/or copies of the same, not to mention a constantly changing array of redesigns of their own for the purposes of economy and efficiency, so one might expect that pretty much any weapon would pass muster.

That being said, I know that the MP 3008/Volksmaschinenpistole was a copy of the Sten designed to use MP 40 magazines.

What I want to know is if the redesign for a vertical magazine is a necessary part of that modification or if a Sten MkIIs could be designed to take MP 40 with fairly minimal modifications?

Also, how difficult would it be to exchange the typical Sten wire stock for an MP 40 folding wire stock?

Most players will probably clamour for automatic firearms, with MP 40s and even StG44s being fairly easy to justify and being very useful for the sort of close combat they expect. I imagine there will be a light machine gun as well and at least one Gewehr 43. Nevertheless, I want to offer at least one traditional old-school infantryman PC, with a rifle in a battle rifle caliber and mounted bayonet that he is expert with.

What would be the most effective infantry rifle for close-combat and bayonet-fighting?

Bonus points if it is likely to pass unremarked in the hands of a German soldier. I'm leaning toward a Tokarev SVT-40, as Germans re-issued thousands of captured ones, but I don't know how robust it was for use with a bayonet.

Captured Polish licence-made BARs in 7.92×57mm Mauser, i.e. Browning wz. 1928, were issued to German troops as lMG 28 (p).

Does anyone see a plausibility problem with an SOE agent impersonating a German soldier in Berlin carrying such a Browning rifle (or a copy of one)?

Last edited by Icelander; 04-30-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote