View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #19
ravenfish

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy with only one Spellcaster "Class"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Or you can set something up that means no-one in the party needs to be the heal-bot.
If you can point me towards advice on how to manage this, please do. My general experience is that Dungeon Fantasy (meaning the genre, not this particular game) is, almost by definition, a combat focused game, so PCs (unless they are consistently faced with very underwhelming opponents) will sometimes take injuries, so (barring truly over the top rates of natural healing) one will either need to have a healer or gloss over months of time spent sitting around and recuperating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I much prefer the PCs hiring NPCs to fill unfilled roles than changing the setting arbitrarily in order to make those roles disappear.
Trivial response to that: The Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game has a setting?

Slightly less trivial response: Is it any more unreasonable than arbitrarily designing the setting such that those roles appear?

Nontrivial response: Certainly, if a GM feels that the setting is enhanced by dividing up magic into different professions, then he should go ahead and do so- and the rules take that route by default. It should be noted, though, that the motif of secular magic excluding healing and animal manipulation is by no means universal in fiction or folklore (indeed, I cannot offhand think of examples of it in sources that are not either games or directly referencing games). Moreover, since the ability to customize templates in a simple and balanced manner is an advantage the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game has over more strictly class-based systems, I feel it worthwhile to point this out as an example of how said advantage can be gainfully utilized.