View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [GAME] Collaborative World Building Dwarven city as a start

Finally, one of these I can get into on the ground floor, as it were!

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Question 1
The highest point in the city is about 5km above sea level. How deep are the mines beneath Knurlkyth? Why?
The deepest point in Knurlkyth is actually relatively shallow, only about a hundred feet below the local terrain baseline (about 1 mile above sea level). This is because of an ancient belief among the dwarves that if they ever delve deeper than the depth of the lowest body of water in their territory, a terrible fate will occur. Whether this is true prophecy or merely superstition is unknown, but it's entrenched enough among the dwarves that they don't test it (though there has been some talk of dredging a lake to artificially lower the critical depth).

Question 2:
What are the three most important goods, by trade value, that Knurlkyth produces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E)
A. Do the dwarves have access to relatively clear glass or a substitute?
B. Do the dwarves have access to “new world crops such as potatoes?
C. Are the dwarves technically inclined enough to develop the seed drill earlier than humans did?
D. Do the dwarves farm fish?
E. Are minerals mined for agricultural use?
F. Are insects used to make better use of resources for food.
These all sound cool to me, so I vote "yes" on all of them. Further, I'd like to suggest that, in addition to New World crops, the dwarves also have access to New World livestock, specifically the llama. Inca-esque dwarves, with potatoes as a staple, llamas as beasts of burden, and an extensive textile culture, is an idea I saw before in something similar, and it's always interested me.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote