View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Scintillant

Default Re: Most useful spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Illusion is must for fights. Always my first spell to take...

One more: Rope spell is great because it is a Creation spell (no loss of Dex to cast it) and it has an immediate -2 DX on the foe, plus forces them to loose at least one action to try to remove it. And if they ignore it, they quickly because incapable of doing anything.

When adventuring, whatever spells I go for, they need to be cheap. It is hard for a Wizard to have to rest after every spell during an adventure.
I totally agree with all of these points (especially the one about efficient use of ST). Plus, here's an interesting RAW that makes Illusion virtually game-breaking (ITL, page 139):
Illusions or images of walls, fire, or shadow can be created. Illusions work just like the real thing until disbelieved or destroyed by a spell... An illusion of a Rope spell can be created as above.
So, it is entirely consistent with RAW that even the basic (1-hex) Illusion can also duplicate Giant Rope for 2 ST. How's that for useful (or abusive...). Plus, who would think to disbelieve a Rope / Giant Rope spell straight off? Sure, they may as well try once their DX is reduced to a useless level, but that buys you at least a couple of turns of inactivity on their part (and more for the low-IQ types, or for animals).

Last edited by Scintillant; 06-23-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Scintillant is offline   Reply With Quote