View Single Post
Old 01-09-2008, 06:40 AM   #13
Lonewulf

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Races - 25 point templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsam
1) If we imagine all humans in your world would have luck - what would this be? With a view only on humans competing against each other no one would have luck because they 'neutralize' each other on the other hand all other races would probably be social underdogs if they are all "unlucky" in comparison to the human race...
Except that they have 25 points in other advantages; including higher skills, higher advantages, higher DX, or higher other abilities. "Lucky" does not make or break a character in comparison with this, even with Extraordinary Luck (which is 30 points anyways, and 30 points in equivalent advantages can buy you all sorts of things. Think about it: In an Easy skill, 28 of those points would give you DX+8! DX+7 in Average, DX+6 in Hard).

Quote:
2) Racial Skills? I don't think there is good explanation for this, you could rather think of regional or society-specific skills if you want this kind of things...
I think he's operating on the D&D system, which gives you +1 Feat and extra skill points. You could say that humans tend to learn more than other races in an equivalent amount of time, or just put in the "gain extra points" thing as a balancing thing more than a "race" thing. *Shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsam
3) The GURPS-System is built on the axiom that humans are 0 points changing this could have unforeseen consequences...
I fail to see how.

In my GURPS Wasteland game, I give all humans either a [7] template or a [-5] template, making them +7 or -5 points each.

I fail to see how this would cause unintended consequences, any moreso than giving any race a template?

Quote:
4) As for "balance reasons" I don't think there is a need for racial templates to have the same point cost: IMHO a 'template' is not the final character but a kind of framework for the character: So if we had e.g. 150 cp overall and all 'templates' would cost 125 cp the player can decide what to do with the last 25 cp: he/she could take a racial-template for 25cp or maybe one for 20cp and the last 5 cp are spent for skills or maybe no one but a 25cp advantage etc. ... (but all chars would have the same cp - balanced)
But the point is to make it easy to add and substract from the templates given in Dungeon Fantasy, which are also all 250 points.

Personally, I like it.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote