View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Computer Game GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusqune View Post
1: Has there ever been a computer/video game based off of GURPS? I think I heard something about Fallout being based off of GURPS at one point, but I've never played it, so I can't say if it retained that status.
There have been some attempts, but nothing ever reached market. Fallout was based on GURPS during the early stages of development, but the publisher and SJ Games had some disagreements and parted ways before the game came out.

Quote:
2a: I don't know copyright law, so I'm going to throw this out there: If I decided to make a free, nonprofit text-based GURPS Game program, would that infringe any copyright laws?
Yes. The short version is that if you're using somebody's intellectual property without their permission, you're infringing on their rights and are legally liable in various way. Whether or not you make money from it can impact how you're held liable, but it's not a necessary condition to sue you.

Quote:
2b: Lets say this pet project turned into something more; what would I have to do to actually sell it? What kind of permission would I have to get and how hard would that be?
You'd have to get a license from SJ Games. Basically, you pay them some money and meet certain conditions, and they let you publish something using their rules. How much money that is and what those conditions are would be the subject of negotiation. I don't think they have a standard deal for that, and they don't make the details of any previous negotiations public. However, the impression I get is that they really, really prefer to deal with established publishers with a track record of producing good products for this sort of thing.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!