View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #30
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Questions about Alternate Worldline Design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
the original poster wants a TL3 society with TL0 weapons .
There's no particularly logical way for him to achieve this.

Even just to match the stoneworking abilities of mid-TL1 you need metal tools to cut the stone. Metal tools to work farms. Even metal tools to work wood efficiently.

No metal, no magic, no exotic biotech or other special item equals earrly TL1.

An old (and perhaps _very_ old) TL1 civilization might have a number of TL3 (or higher) developments such as mathematics and animal breeding but they would not be able to match TL3 technology and economics.

You could give your TL3/0 Knights wooden lances and wooden shields and even big fast horses but handcarving wooden stirrups and cutting and sewing saddle leather with stone and bone tools would be heartbreakingly dificult.

It would be _possible_, I do want to emphasize that you _could_ do it without metal tools. I want to cut off a long argument I can see brewing that it is is _possible_. However it wouldn't be either efficient or economically viable.

Some people might say that labor would be cheap. Sort of, individual humans might not be highly valued, but without the metal plows and scythes and so on the food to feed the labor wouldn't be cheap.