View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #38
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Is Transcendent the limit?

Oh yeah, there was a giant, Tityus, who tried to rape the goddess Leto. And there were two giants, Otus and Ephialtes, who wanted to conquer Olympus and marry Hera and Artemis -- this without ever having seen them. All three of these also ended up eternally punished in Tartarus.

But I'd think that no matter how attractive Hera was, only a complete blithering moron would want to anger Zeus by trying to go after her. And in fact, the problem with raping Leto was not that she was a goddess, or that nobody deserves to be raped, because the Greeks told stories of gods raping unmarried goddesses and didn't see any problem with it. No, in keeping with the ancient Greeks' legal attitude towards rape in general, the real crime was coveting Zeus' property because she was his former lover.

In short, there's nothing from the myths that suggest to me that Hera was less devastating than most other goddesses, although they do tend to suggest to me that Aphrodite was in a class of her own, because even the other gods thought her nearly irresistible.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 12-16-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote