View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Player Paranoia and Character Surprise: How to GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti

It's a cool list, but I disagree about the unarmed combat skills.

But with hitting and grabbing, you get that 1-point level for free, since you can use DX at no penalty. And I'm not convinced it's a better idea to spend 4 points on Wrestling to get that +1 than to spend the points on whatever skill you're focusing on and get an equal +1.
Two issues here:

1. I didn't suggest "put 1 point into each of these skills" but "have these skills." For unarmed skills, I'd strongly recommend that the player spend enough to get the ST or damage bonus that the skill offers fighters with higher levels.

2. It isn't entirely true that DX is as good as skill. Sure, basic punches and grabs can use DX, but players usually want to do fancier stuff. You can't try, say, arm locks, choke holds, elbow strikes, judo throws, knee strikes, and lethal strikes without learning skills. These have no DX default. And many skills offer built-in bonuses at any level. For instance, Judo and Karate let you parry weapons effectively -- and give a superior retreat bonus -- allowing an unarmed fighter to take on a guy with a knife, like in the movies. The unskilled unarmed parry of DX/2+3, at -3 vs. a weapon, gives a DX 10 man a Parry of 5, or 6 if he retreats. The same guy with Karate at DX-2 for a point has an unarmed parry of (DX-2)/2+3, with no -3 vs. a weapon, for 7, or 10 if he retreats.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote