View Single Post
Old 06-30-2020, 01:24 AM   #10
Steve Plambeck

Default Re: Local color: a calendar and some deities

We didn't have Wikipedia back in those days, or by gosh it would all have been easier! Hahaha. It was 1978 when we started this campaign world, so we didn't even have BBS access, a modem, or a computer to our names yet. We had to bang out our house rules on manual typewriters and carbon paper to share with each other. (You kids today, you just have it all so easy! LOL!) But we were all recent alumni of the UIC Science Fiction Society, with heads full of background reading to inspire us. When one of us discovered Melee in 1977, our fates were sealed!

I'll always regret not getting to finish that last campaign. Mjölnir was in a hidden dwarf kingdom above the arctic circle, the PCs had played a year of outdoor encounters on the road searching for that kingdom and we were only a couple play sessions away from finding it. Recently found among my old papers I had completely mapped the underground dwarf kingdom, and I'd forgotten I did all that. One member of the party though was a traitor, a plant known only to me the GM and that one player running him. He had a whole army of orcs at his disposal secretly following the party ready to swoop in after they stole the Hammer (if the players succeeded that is). And then there were the Frost Giants to get passed, but that's where Thunor/Thor's appearance would level the playing field... I was nothing if not ambitious! :) That last battle would have been one glorious mess.