View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Anomylous

Default Re: Local color: a calendar and some deities

Steve P: Thanks for the kind words! I thought about naming days of the week, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Not sure I will; that seems like just one more detail for players to remember.

Whether the gods actually exist or not is deliberately left open-ended. In the context of the state religion being the Temple of Enok, which the rulebook explicitly states to be a scam, I expect my players will assume that all religions are fake and the setting is essentially atheistic. And we all know the fun to be had with players' assumptions...

(Side note: I actually have three varieties of Enok-ism in the setting: the fundamentalist, human-supremacist Orthodox Temple, the Unitarian-esque Reformed Temple, and the charismatic, cult-of-personality, prophet-centered version practiced by the invading orc tribes. They all hate each other but are otherwise pretty boring.)

If some of these gods were to create mortal-fleshed avatars, they have the potential to be really fun NPCs. If I do this, I'll most likely limit their power and run them as mostly-mundane characters with good-but-not-ridiculous stats and maybe a couple of well-defined divine powers (like Procyon's ability to shapeshift at will).

Forum issues: it appears to recognize my password just fine. Definitely something hinky going on though.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote