View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #26
Piratecat

Default Re: Some help with Timewatch's Free RPG day Font of Knowledge

The GenCon version went wonderfully. Made a few tweaks for better play:

1. Started off with a quick description of the end of the war against BREEN - computer cluster in future Singapore, orbital lasers destroying buildings all around them, half the team dead on the floor, flying robotic drones closing in, just as a PC triggers an EMP that fries the system. Then narrated the clean-up crew handling details and had the PCs describe their 2 week vacation. This made them aware of BREEN without any real game time distraction.

2. Florence and the Killing Grounds worked really, really well in all three scenes. Lots of good RP.

3. Not all groups head back to St. Beneficio. Whether they do, or whether they figure it out and head back to 920s Africa instead, they realize that the nanobots appear everywhere at once. Brilliantly, one group triggered a solar electromagnetic flare to fry all electronics on the planet, which in 920 AD is pretty much only BREEN. Really clever.

4. Timing- and tone-wise, we didn't need a final fight over the computer -- but there were some fun shenanigans retrieving it regardless.

Play-wise for Gen Con, I give it a 7.5 out of 10. It won't be one of the few adventures I fondly remember in my dotage (there's no one shining climax), but for us it was solid, fun gameplay with particularly fun PCs.
Piratecat is offline   Reply With Quote