View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #19
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Best Near Future game background - what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Hands, certainly. "To know something like the back of my hand" is an expression that indicates how familiar we are with them. I'd argue they're the body part you're most accustomed to seeing and knowing in minute detail.

Feet- maybe not so much, but the new ones would have to replicate my accustomed "walk-feel" pretty closely.

There's still a bit of a jump between hands and the immune system. Where is your immune system? What does it look or feel like?
Teeth are a bit different. You don't see your own very often, and they're more likely to be giving you problems to make you want to replace them.
I know the back of my hand worse than I know my laptop's keyboard, yet I do replace keyboards. Conversely, I don't know what my subconsciousness is 'like' (by definition, by its distinction from consciousness), but I'd rather not replace it.

To answer about my immune system: it's fiddly and flawed, prone to letting colds through a lot (though not as much lately) and with a bunch of strongly-held misconceptions about certain plant-produced chemicals (likewise not as badly nowadays as past years). At a minimum, it's one that is recognizable if placed in a lineup with the immune systems of most of my acquaintances.