View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
tmedwards

Default Re: GURPS Character Assistant under Wine for Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
... rather than rewrite their in-house character creation program for GURPS 4th Ed.
Eric is correct, if you're referring to GCB. GCB was written by Bruce Kvam/AlterEgo Software. IIRC, it was mostly a customized version of his MetaCreator product, or the precursor to it, whatever.

Quote:
(My vote's been on VB.NET with a focus on a .NET subset compatible with Mono.)
Same here. Armin likes VB-style syntax and has given no indication that he plans to switch to another style of language—just the opposite, actually. So, unless something else comes along and seduces him, his choices are pretty much between either VB.NET or RealBasic. Of those two, VB.NET is hands-down the best choice long-term, even though it'll likely be more work porting to it, rather than RealBasic, in the short-term.

Regardless, if a non-VB6 version of GCA is completed one day, that day likely won't be any time soon. Mores the pity in that.

Quote:
What might be more likely is something similar to "Windows XP Mode" or it being supported in "compatibility mode." Though I think it'll just be dropped entirely. It's already officially not supported and there was a question of whether Windows 7 would support it and the official Visual Basic 6 is entirely devoted to migrating to VB.NET.
Indeed. VB6 was officially declared defunct during the lifetime of WinXP and has been supported for the remainder of its lifespan as well as the past two OS releases, WinVista and Win7. Continuing to support it natively is counter to their goals for .NET and Windows.

Native support for VB6 has been dropped from Win8, and I find it unlikely that they'll change their minds about that. That said, it should work in the WinXP compatibility VM just fine—that's not something that should be counted on long-term though, the WinXP VM I mean.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote