View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #39
guymc

Default Re: The Woodsman Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
If there are to be sailing based talents, they should, IMO, correspond to the basic work areas - Rower, Topman, Deckhand, Navigator, Helmsman, Cook, and Gunner. These are also the various warrant officers (the term goes back a long way - 16th C or earlier)... Rowing Master, Sailing Master, Bosun/boatswain, Navigator, Quartermaster, Cook, and Master of Guns. Surgeons were also masters.
I’m sorry, my friend, but that’s exactly what I do not want to do with TFT. Seven Talents (plus second-level Talents for some of those), devoted to sailing? Realistic, but just not appropriate for TFT core. At most, we need a way to say “this character knows the sea” and perhaps “this character knows how to command at sea”. It is likely to be a part of a character’s background that offers a chance for related adventure hooks and interesting relationships to come back and affect play.

If we ever did a TFT-based game that centered on high-seas piracy, with megahex deck plans, cutlassry, diving and drowning, ship’s justice, planks and keelhauling — that game would probably include a bit more granularity as suited the setting. But it would be intended for the people playing that game, and would not be necessary complexity for 99% of TFT players.

I appreciate the enthusiasm for all kinds of settings and adventuring, but it is not core TFT, and that’s what we have to build (and sell) before we can even consider that sort of depth in the line.