View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:50 AM   #121
David Johnston2

Default Re: The Problem With Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I don't understand, what do you mean by "GM budget"? And why wouldn't they be different with a point-buy system? When building traits, I don't often give in-game costs since the point is buying the trait instead of having to spend FP.
<waves hand airily> Details. I didn't "decide" have it cost fatigue. That decision was made for me by it being a spell. The points is you decide what you want the effect to be in advance and then you "design" it. It just takes more work when you also have to do arithmetic.

Quote:
What is the system you used to determine what effects of the spell you wanted? For instance, my idea for the spell was something along the lines of "Decide a specific poison, then this spell to give it to them". I don't care what the cost or time is when conceptualizing the spell, I just want a cost and time that is correct.
I would have decided on a specific poison except that GURPS doesn't have a list of the effects of specific poisons so I went with with a more generic somatotoxin rather a neurotoxin. Which is more appropriate anyway because I'm poisoning blood, not the victim's brain.

Quote:
I've almost never had this problem with point-buy, while I've almost always had this problem with vague systems. With point buy, there is plenty of baseline to base spells around, it also happens to be the same baseline used to make any character.
I always have that problem with point buy except now I also have to do useless arithmetic. (Useless as a GM since I'm not actually buying this crap.)

Quote:
That makes sense conceptually. Does Drunkeness actually make them drunk?
It actually affects brain chemicals to give you the sensation.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 07-11-2018 at 12:57 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote