View Single Post
Old 07-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #48
ak_aramis

Default Re: A different take on priests

The same arguments apply to TFT & to T&T: the lack of a system for fantasy religions is a problem for many.
  • It definitely makes crossovers with the Big Brand Games (we all know which 2) more of a problem.
  • It makes every group running it have to invent, adapt, or find on someone's website a set of mechanics; this means no uniformity.
  • Most GM's aren't competent as game designers. Most homebrew is bad juju. (Notably, several posters here are apparently competent - Ty, Rick, Skarg, SJ, AH, Guy...)

No uniformity, and no effective clerical magic, means few of the OGL guys doing adventures for the big ones are going to add on TFT.

Now, Real World Religions are a whole different mess... and why I didn't run Yrth back when I liked GURPS. While I found the real religions only mildly problematic, many of my players were more upset with it. (Most especially the militant atheist; who'd have guessed?) But, using a fantasy pantheon, they all accepted it. My Pendragon game, because it uses real religion, has in fact offended at least one non-player - it's a game at a public location (FLGS's back room).

For my D&D games, I've done up a pantheon, based upon ideas fronted by my players. Exceptionally silly stuff, and intentionally so. Be a decent 24pp 3rd party, if I found D&D 5E more robust about clerics (it was for AD&2E). I've used it in a few other games... I mean, when the God of War has a flaming mushroom as his holy symbol, and the god of Contemplation is also the god of hyperactivity, and the death god cleric can never tell if his spells will harm or hurt until he tries...

I'd love to see a consistent framework, and this is the best I've seen for TFT. Just put it in the "OPTIONAL RULES" section of the book. Or in "TFT 2E Supplement 1: Optional Rules for Various Occasions"...
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote