View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 03:26 AM   #35
tbone

Default Re: Increasing lethality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, I've run two campaigns with the "hit by 3 hits vitals" rules in play, and it works fine.
Agreed, it'll work. The key there is "center of the torso", as you note.

To wax pedantic for no particular reason:

Say a big archery target is +0 TH. In the center is a small bullseye: -5 TH.

If you just want to hit the big target, you'd naturally aim for the center to maximize your chances. That's no different from actually aiming for the bullseye. Here, it'd make perfect sense that aiming for the target and succeeding by 5 would hit the bullseye – or, that aiming for the bullseye and missing by up to 5 would still hit the big target somewhere. Same thing.

On the other hand, if we're talking human target (+0 TH) vs head shot (-5 TH), the head is definitely not the center; there's no reason to assume that a whole-body shot that succeeds by 5 would automatically hit the head, or that a head shot that misses by up to 5 would automatically hit the body.

The latter is how RAW generally treats all "big part vs small sub-part" situations (with options available to allow that a miss against Part A might hit Part B); it assumes that you have to try to hit the small sub-part. That RAW treatment is what I was referring to.

That said, while RAW seems fine for most body hit locations, the vitals seem close enough to a "bullseye in the center" that I can easily see treating them that way, as you describe. It's a simplification, and in this case, makes fights deadlier too...

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote