View Single Post
Old 02-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #33
Varyon

Default Re: Layered Cutting Edge Armour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Depends a little on what you mean by cloth?
Pretty much everything listed under Flexible Materials in the relevant Pyramid articles, but with a primary interest in Kevlar, Dyneema, Spider Silk (which I assume is going to be one of the ones that needs room to move around), and the UT ones. From your description, it sounds like MLA and STF (both being what UT called Reflex) might be able to get away with it to some extent, and energy cloth can probably do so as well, but the others may be no-go's.

I'll probably stick with the paradigm of flexible bodysuit with rigid armor over it, simply because I like the aesthetics and mechanical effects, but it's always useful to know where one is deviating from what it realistic. In more realistic settings, if substantial rigid armor is needed in addition to some flexible, I'll probably go with a brigandine design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I assume that the layering rules use layers as a proxy for thickness, note that akethons, FROG gear, and so on don't ever count as layers.
You may be right that it's more a proxy for thickness than some other effect, although I will note that any aketon substantial enough for DR 1* does count toward layering penalties.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote