Thread: Flat Black
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #244
Agemegos

Default Re: Flat Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I'd point out that only one of these (#2) is a reason for changing at all, while the others are reasons for making a change now.
Well, Martinl did ask "why re-brand now?"

Quote:
And you're doing it to please one person, weighed against the 3 votes here.
There has been a slightly more general thread of querulousness about the title for some time. JGD on the tekeli.li discussion boards is not alone in finding it perplexing. Most readers take the view that a name is just a name, and doesn't have to make sense so long as it is distinctive and well-known — I'm not a Breton and have never been to Déville de Grandcourt, and nobody worries what my name suggests. But there are those who hold that the title of a work ought to indicate the subject and not excite expectations that the content will not fulfil. "Flat Black" seems to offer adventure in space, a dark and gloomy setting unrelieved even by a gloss finish, and something to do with coffee. Thirty years ago it tried. After three decades of development and refinement it no longer does.

In a surprising contrast to the consensus here for making no change, there is a consensus at tekeli.li that "The Human Reach" would be best of the options I suggested.

Quote:
Not sure how it's inappropriate, either.
Sorry. Dated idiom. I forgot that "inappropriate" is now a euphemism for 'improper, indecent'.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote