View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #73
Anaraxes

Default Re: Hey total newby here

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And "Y" ability is only usable "X" times per day is Luck, to a 'T'. Which is why I don't care about those gamist things in other games.
The difference, at least to me, is that die rolling is itself inherently an external meta-game activity. Meta-game adjustments to it are invisible to the characters. On the other hand, trying some particular attack move is an in-game choice of the character. There'd have to be some in-game reason why you can only do that three times, as an arbitrary limit will be sharply visible.

That kind of in-game limit is easiest to get away with in magic, because you can always just say "that's the way magic works". It's much harder to do with anything that supposed to be "normal" activity.

The narrative solution is to try to think of reasons why the character simply doesn't choose to do that attack more than three times a day. That's easier with some abilities than others (particularly some sort of super-attack while he's in the middle of a life-or-death combat), and of course the spur-of-the-moment rationale can be hard to improvise for many players.

Quote:
GURPS appeals to me because I can build the character I want to play
Also why I like GURPS. I can still remember reading the 1e Basic book and being amazed as how naturally and how well it could fit all these ideas I'd had but could never shoehorn into D&D / Rolemaster / etc. classes. Also a reason to like TFT, but it wasn't as versatile, and very DF focused.

You can build whatever you want in Fate, too, but that's more because of the lack of mechanics than any particular support for breadth (or anything else). When the game mechanics are just "write down five (or seven) things about your character" and "you can have a +2 any time you think of a reasonably plausible reason some phrase fits the situation and you want to pay a Fate point", then obviously you've got a lot of flexibility.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote