View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Ultra Tech setting with shotgun, handling range and armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by faitfull View Post
Some of my friends and I play a ultra tech setting somewhere in starwars. I am currenly considering a new character and begun thinking about using a shotgun, perhaps a Gauss CAW 18.5mm from UT 142

However it got me thinking.
Note: You are likely to break a Star Wars setting if you use Ultratech projectile weapons without extreme GM control.

You Are Warned.
Quote:
How do I deal with strong armored foes? The typical stormtropper have DR 50 torso, DR 30 on arms and 20-10 on head. Not that we meet them often, however I would like to be able to do something beside running away in fear.

I noticed that there is armor piercing rounds, however not allowed in Gauss weapons. and other shotguns already suffer from lesser dmg.....
You should definitely ignore those 'not available for gauss and rail guns' clauses in reference to the Gauss shotguns, which quite obviously do not already use AP ammo. (If you can't get that approved, perhaps you should use a rifle instead of a shotgun.)

That said, the classic anti-armor load for UT shotguns is the HEMP warhead from page 155. Takes DR 210 to stop it.
Quote:
Secondly can I somehow modify the shotgun to get lowered range to take advantage of the Shotguns and Multiple Projectiles rules in B409 ? for a more easy hit without going 20 yards away from my enemy (asumed shotshells from UT154 )
Lowering the 1/2d range would require lowering the muzzle velocity of the weapon, and thus the damage. Note that this is allowed with no modification: p141 says that for EM guns "Ammunition velocity can also be varied, exactly as for a liquid-propellant slugthrower", and low velocity mode for an LP slugthrower halves range...but also damage, so that may not be helpful.