View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #21
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Seraphim and Profanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBloch2012 View Post
I just do not see why Seraphim have to be inhumane robotic Vulcans when it comes to their personality.
No, that's the Elohim. ;)

I don't mean to imply that Seraphim must be robotic or stupid -- far from it. But what Seraphim often are is sober. They say what they mean and they get a bit disappointed when others don't hold themselves to the same standard.

For a Seraph, dissonance is only a lie away. So they tend to the literal rather than the figurative, the precise rather than the vague, because it's safe. After a while -- and a Seraph may have been doing this for centuries -- it becomes reflexive.

Sure, they can understand metaphoric and inexact statements in others. But it's inelegant, like a Shakespearean-trained actor listening to Billy the Redneck at the corner bar. And their reflex is for the literal meaning. You're right in that a Seraph of any experience will be able to get past that easily, but it's still a little grating.

That said, Seraphim do care. They do love. They are capable of great beauty and grace. They're just also a bit ... fussy.

(Your mileage, of course, may vary.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote