View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #17
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Jason Bourne combat skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I'm... not convinced. In fact, I've not really been convinced that Extra Attack is ever worthwhile or the sort of thing we often see in film.

First, you need to use extra attack with a second body part. You can't use the same body part twice without multistrike. Second, it's 25 points, while +6 to skill is 24 points, and will allow you to attack twice (rapid strike is -6), or make a -6 deceptive attack or attack a difficult hit location.

If you do have Extra Attack, it makes sense to use it all the time, otherwise it's a waste of points. It's also more worthwhile if you have multiple skills that you use, but for my money, I'd rather have Trained by a Master (which is only 5 points more expensive), as it gives access to cinematic skills and reduces rapid strike to -3.
It becomes worth it if you ever want to be good with (say) Karate, Judo, and Wrestling, which would cost 72 points to boost to a full extra rapid strike with each.

And Multistrike is perhaps my least-favorite enhancement ever, but even if you do that for +20% and "unarmed combat only" for -10% (b/c single skill is -20%) you're still at about 28 points there. Two skills at +6 each is 48 points, so you're saving.

But if you look at the kind of penalties you have to absorb for doing many levels of Rapid Strike, Extra Attack becomes pretty worth it pretty fast. I use it for Aim+Shoot in Ghostdancer's Aeon campaign (we use On Target, so Aim is an attack variant) and it's very worthwhile - and I do use it all the time, for melee, unarmed combat, and firearms.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote