Thread: raw metals cost
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Joseph R

Default raw metals cost

I'm trying to work out reasonable costs for metals by the pound, for a TL2-TL3 fantasy campaign (as ingots, or whatever would be appropriate).

Searching the forum, I found a thread on this topic, but the numbers there don't necessarily match with the item prices suggested in the Basic Set.

Now, the Campaigns book suggests $1000/lb for silver and $20,000/lb for gold, which seems fair enough. But how much for 1 lb of copper, bronze, tin, iron or steel?

DF2 suggests $62.50/lb for copper. I'm not sure of this however, as the standard price in Characters is $400 for a Bronze Breastplate of 20 lb and I would expect bronze to be more expensive than just copper, yet $20/lb for armour that presumably is custom-made for the buyer seems cheap in comparison. Is there something I'm missing here?

As for the price of other ingots of elements/alloys, it seems to me that a crowbar is good comparison for iron cost, being a solid metal item. I imagine that it wouldn't need to be highest quality steel, either. However, $20 for 3 lbs of crowbar gives approx $6.7/lb per pound of iron. So, the "raw" metal must cost the smith less than that, surely?
Joseph R is offline   Reply With Quote